Saturday, April 29, 2006

TransAmerica Route


So, here's the first official post for the voyage. I thought it'd be nice to add a map of the whole route. A few facts...length: 4247.5 miles; highest point: Hoosier Pass, Colorado (11, 542 feet); my estimated time to arrive on the East coast: 70 days (roughly August 1).

The route has existed since 1976 when a group called Bikecentennial organized a ride across the country to celebrate that special year for our country. Now called Adventure Cycling Association, the organization promotes cycling and offers guided tours all over the continent. I took a leadership class from ACA a few years back and would love to lead tours for them someday. After this ride I think I'll have the credentials to get the job. I'll also be using their excellent map set for this adventure.

One thing people have asked me (besides "Why the #$@% are you doing this?!") is why I'm doing it eastbound. Well, they say the winds are in your favor that way.... I'll let you know whether that's true soon enough!

Most of these pictures in this blog I'll post using my Verizon picturephone. Unfortunately, Verizon attaches a bunch of gobbledygook informational text to the message which they told me they couldn't deactivate. Just ignore it -- but do look for my message immediately below each picture. I hope to be able to post new pics every few days. It depends, of course, on battery power and reception.

Everyone's welcome to email me, but try to keep the emails short-ish since I'll be viewing them on my phone. And forgive me if my replies are short-ish-er because I'm not a speedy typist on the phone keypad (I know, some of you who text-message a lot are pretty fast).

The bike preparations are proceeding at a furious rate right now. Just ask anyone who's seen my apartment lately; there's no room to walk for all the bike parts strewn over the floor! Another "preparation" has been to get my eyes cut open -- I mean LASIK. I finally did it, and it's nothing short of a miracle! It will be very nice not to have glasses on this trip! I can wake up and SEE!

OK. That's it for now. The flight from Knoxville to Portland is on May 16. I'll have to take the bus to Astoria and then chill there for a few days to get ready.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home