Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Day 71: 63 miles, Jul 28


I rolled over 4000 miles today but forgot to take the picture of the cyclometer. For the record, it wasn't raining. The country here is very pleasant: rolling farmland mostly, with no big climbs. The heat has returned, however, but fortunately for now I'm still at a bit of an elevation (about 2000 feet) so it stays somewhat cool at night.

My destination today was Troutville, another Appalachian Trail intersection. Though it looked nice, I desperately did not want to camp in the city park since I thought it'd be too hot to sleep. However, the only hotel was about a mile off route, and that seemed too much. Funny how I could have traveled over 4000 miles and an extra two is unfathomable. Well, as I came into the park, I met the vice-mayor of the town and the groundskeeper for the park. They both assured me it was a safe place to put up a tent.

I guess it was safe, but, yes, it was hot. I believe I eventually fell asleep at midnight.

The picture is the best I could come up with. I think the sky is that color because of the haze. Anyway, the countryside is very pretty (just insert a blue sky and cool breezes).

1 Comments:

Blogger CanukDawg said...

I need more posts. Keep them coming! I shudder to think what will happen when you finish. I might have to read a book.
Jennifer

1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home