Friday, August 11, 2006

Day 78: 50 miles, Aug 4

I can’t believe that I don’t have any pictures from this day. It was very eventful! Maybe there was just too much happening for me to remember to get out the camera.

We awoke early at the church and got going around 6:30. By noon we had covered 45 miles – I was very impressed with my dad’s fitness. He is 62 years old after all! The rides was virtually ruler-flat as it proceeded towards the James River area. There were many plantations along the way.

We got to Williamsburg and had lunch near the historic colonial area while I performed the motel search routine. The Bassett Motel seemed a good deal, but they were replacing the air conditioner. After suffering through this heat wave for the past month, such news was pretty discouraging, but we decided to go for it. The owners were very friendly, and, I’m happy to say, the AC was working just fine.

By the time we got back to the colonial area it was late afternoon. We had both been there before, but this time we were on bicycles, an ideal way to see the place! We didn’t bother buying tickets, but I did manage to talk our way into seeing the woodshop.

That evening we supped on excellent wine and cheese as we anticipated finishing the ride the next day. It was hard for me to believe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home